Boundary-Layer Meteorology (BLMet)
Janet F. BarlowProfessor of Environmental Physics (SMPS) Director of the Centre for Technologies for Sustainable Built Environments (TSBE, SCME)
Tel: 0118 378 6022
CV: available here
- Urban Meteorology
- Boundary Layer Meteorology
- Experimental methods (micrometeorology, windtunnel physical modelling)
- Renewable energy
- The ACTUAL Project - EPSRC Challenging Engineering award winner 2008
- Clearflo - NERC Consortium on infrastructure for urban atmospheric research
- The Breathing City - collaboration between an urban meteorologist, a digital musican and two designers
- UK Met Office funded (2009): A review of urban roughness sublayer turbulence, Technical Report 527 report supplementary figures
- EPSRC First Grant Scheme (2003-2006): Quantifying urban heat fluxes using naphthalene sublimation - collaboration with EnFlo
- EPSRC/Home Office funded (2002-2009) Dispersion of air pollution and penetration into the local environment (DAPPLE)
- Scalar transport from urban streets - first experiments using naphthalene sublimation
- Ventilation of pollution out of urban streets - collaboration with University of Bristol
- The Salfex 2002 Urban Meteorology Campaign
- Biometeorology of high-altitude insect layering as revealed by vertical-looking radar - collaboration with Rothamsted Research
- Curtis Wood, 2007-2009 DAPPLE-HO project; 2009-present ACTUAL project
- Frauke Pascheke, 2004-2006 First Grant project
- Adrian Dobre, 2002-2006, DAPPLE project
- Sam Arnold, 2002-2006, DAPPLE project
- Wagner Nogueira Neto, 2010-present: "The dependence of urban climate on building layout and design"
- Sian Lane, 2010-present: "Assessing the validity and impatc of urban scale numerical weather prediction"
- Aidan Brocklehurst, 2010-present: "THe effect of urban climate on urban energy supply and demand"
- Rosario Nobile, 2009-present: "Building integrated wind energy"
- Tyrone Dunbar, 2007-present: "Using Doppler lidar to estimate surface sensible heat flux in urban areas"
- Dan Drew, 2008-present: "The application of small wind turbines in urban environments"
- Phil Coker, 2007-present: "Assessing the variability of UK renewable energy"
- Anil Padhra, 2010: "Estimating the sensitivity of urban surface drag to building morphology"
- Curtis Wood, 2007: "Biometeorology of high-altitude insect layers using vertical-looking radar"
- Board member of American Meteorological Society Board for the Urban Environment, 2010-2013
- Board member of the International Association for Urban Climate (IAUC) 2003-2007
- Member of Steering Committee for the APRIL network (Air Pollution Research in London)
- Lab Manager, Department of Meteorology, 2008-present
- Teaching in Department of Meteorology (Boundary Layer Meteorology; Atmospheric Analogues; Fluid Dynamics of the Atmosphere and Ocean)
- Teaching for MSc in Intelligent Buildings (Department of Construction Management)
- Participation in See Further, the Royal Society 350th Anniversary Festival of Arts and Science