Useful links for Weather and Climate Discussion
Recent satellite images
- NASA Earth
- Visit "Today's image" and the archive of images
(with description). Usually several interesting weather/climate images
appear each week. The occasional animations they have tend to be
- Dundee satellite images
- AVHRR, MODIS and Meteosat images over the UK (Password required).
- A-train images: CloudSat
radiometer, AMSR radiometer
- These instruments are on a train of satellites - with care the
images can be matched up!
- Microwave radiometer
- Includes near-realtime SSM/I, TMI, AMSR, QSCAT and MSU
- Images and animations from a wide range of
animations from Meteosat
Resources for synoptic analysis
- Skew-T graphs (like tephigrams) from all
over the world (select "Region: Europe", then "Type of plot: Skew-T").
European surface pressure charts
- Click on "Archiv" at the top
of the page.
- Output from a number of forecast models over Chilbolton.
Observations at UK sites
Meteorology Department Field Site
MST wind profiler
- Chilbolton cloud
radar and lidar quicklooks
quicklooks from surface instruments (password required)
- Cyclone-centred animations from a wide range of satellites
CIRA, Colorado State University
- Animations from various satellites
- NOAA National Hurricane
- Only those that affect the US
Tropical Storms page
- Useful for tropical cyclone alerts
- A site that
responds rapidly to climate sceptics in the media, as well as picking
up other topical climate stories.
- CEH Water Watch:
Monthly hydrological summaries
North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) forecast
Other pages of useful weather links
- Roger Brugge's weather page
- World weather stories and lots of UK weather links
- Mike Blackburn's current weather
- Many links to imagery and animations, as well ski
Some tabloids often run daft headlines related to the